RURAL WOMEN”S SOCIAL EDUCATION CENTRE- RUWSEC
Rural Women’s Social Education Centre [RUWSEC] is a non- governmental women’s organization working for sexual and reproductive health and rights. The organization was founded by 13 women in the year 1981 and it is located at Karumarapakkam village Thirukazhukundrum, near Chennai, Tamil Nadu, South India.
Achieving women’s wellbeing through women’s empowerment is the mission of RUWSEC. Its main focus has been on enabling women to gain greater control over their bodies and their lives, and achieving well being through the promotion of gender equality, sexual and reproductive rights. RUWSEC’s overall approach has been to motivate, educate and organise women from poor and marginalised communities to stand up for their rights and become agents of social change.
The core values of our organization’s work focuses on two important themes 1) Empowerment and rights based 2) Women centered and participatory. The strategies of our work are to,
- Bringing forth the voices of women (and men) from the most marginalized sections of society, especially ‘Dalit’ and rural poor communities;
- Promoting leadership skills of the above groups so that they can effectively participate in existing governance and accountability structures and other spaces for community participation this strategy.
- Developing critical thinking and alternative models in health care provision, research and planning for social action.
Currently, our intensive filed programme activities focus on the following four major themes
- Promoting general health and well-being in the community; especially prevention and treatment for Non-Communicable Diseases, Monthly 1700 rural poor patients access our outpatient care services.
- Promoting sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) of adolescents and young people- Conducting school and college based SRHR education workshops for young people, Also running a youth leadership programme for young men and women in rural areas
- Promoting sexual and reproductive health rights of adults with a special focus on women; Targeted SRHR interventions for newly married couples, pregnant women, women with single child.
- Prevention of intimate partner violence against women; Creation of community based committees to prevent GBV, providing women centred counselling services.
In each of the above said themes we work on four strategies, namely 1) Community capacity building 2) Providing health care services 3) Monitoring, research and bringing out popular health education materials 4) Advocacy for wider policy change.
We have fortunate to have a CORPUS fund of 2.25 Crores which we received from FORD FOUNDATION in the year 2000 and the interest amount earned from the corpus amount is mainly used for our community based filed programmes, staff salary and clinical services.
Contributions and donations to support our activities are welcome. We have FCRA number to receive foreign contributions, and also donations to RUWSEC are exempted from Income tax under 80 C exemption. If you would like to support us, please write to: email@example.com
Rural Women’s Social Education Centre- RUWSEC
61, Karumarapakkam Village, Veerapuram Post
Thirukazhukundrum Via, Chenagalpattu District
Tamil Nadu, India- 603109
Phone : + 91 44 2954 2751, Mobile: 9842919110 and 9655168627
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com